Dr. Bryan Laffitte, Director of Drug Discovery Pharmacology at the Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation, talks about progress his lab is making in producing an effective treatment for type 1 diabetes in the video below. Don’t miss key takeaways from the video at the end of this article!
Key Points Include:
- Type 1 diabetes is an inherited auto-immune disease in which the body destroys the pancreatic beta cells that create insulin, a hormone that regulates blood glucose levels
- Dr. Laffitte and his team research how to create more beta cells by determining what compounds cause these cells to divide and proliferate
- When these compounds were tested in trials involving animals with type 1 diabetes, their blood glucose levels and beta cell counts were properly restored!
- The next step for Dr. Laffitte’s lab will be testing the safety of these compounds for human use!
- A treatment utilizing regenerative medicine would be a serious aid for those with type 1 diabetes who must perform frequent and costly insulin injections routinely
Want to be better informed than your competition? Get future stem cell industry updates.
BioInformant is the only research firm that has served the stem cell sector since it emerged. Our management team comes from a BioInformatics background – the science of collecting and analyzing complex genetic codes – and applies these techniques to the field of market research. BioInformant research has been cited by major news outlets that include the Wall Street Journal, Nature Biotechnology, CBS News, Medical Ethics, and the Center for BioNetworking. Serving Fortune 500 leaders that include GE Healthcare, Pfizer, Goldman Sachs, and Becton Dickinson, BioInformant is your global leader in stem cell industry data.
Click here to view our global strategic reports for the stem cell and cord blood industry.