Among cell therapy companies, the pressure for manufacturing innovation and optimization can incentivize them to seek third-party partners who possess technical, manufacturing, and regulatory expertise, such as cell therapy contract and development manufacturing organizations (CDMOs). Currently, there are more than 20 cell therapy CDMOs specializing in manufacturing and clinical trial support for cell therapy companies.
Benefits of partnering with a cell therapy CDMO include scalability, speed to market, access to technical expertise without overhead costs, and cost efficiencies.
Current cell therapy CDMOs operating worldwide include:
- WuXi PharmaTech, Including Subsidiary WuXi AppTech, Inc.
- Lonza, Cell Therapy Manufacturing Unit (Acquired PharmaCell, B.V. in May 2017)
- MasTHerCell, Acquired by Orgenesis
- Miltenyi Bioprocess, the Contract Manufacturing Business of Miltenyi Biotec
- Hitachi Chemical Advanced Therapeutics Solutions (HCATS)/PCT – HCATS acquired PCT March 2017
- Nikon CeLL innovation Co., Ltd. (“NCLi”), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nikon Corporation
- KBI Biopharma – Acquired Opexa Assets, February 2017
- Brammer Bio – Formed through Merger of Brammer Biopharmaceuticals and Florida Biologix
- CCRM – Built a 10,000 ft² Centre for Advanced Therapeutic Cell Technologies within a 40,000 ft² facility featuring a GMP facility; Supported by CAD $40M from GE and FedDev Ontario
- Roslin Cell Therapies, a Subsidiary of Roslin Cells
- apceth Biopharm
- Cognate Bioservices, Inc.
- MEDINET Co. Ltd.
- The Clinical Trial Company (TCTC)
- Praxis Pharmaceutical
- Cellular Therapeutics Ltd. (CTL)
- CTI Clinical Trial and Consulting
- ACG Asahi Glass – Bought German CDMO company Biomeva in September 2016
- Eufets GmbH
- Fraunhofer Gesellschaft
- Cellforcure SASU
- Molmed S.p.A.
- Advent Bioservices Ltd
- Cell Therapies Pty Ltd (CTPL)
- Gravitas Biomanufacturing – Newly formed company specializing in cell therapies
- C3i – Has the only fully operational cGMP manufacturing unit in Canada with commercial capacity (CCRM’s unit in Toronto is not yet opened), including 14 clean rooms on 37,000 sq. ft. fully equipped for Cell and Gene Therapy work.
- Akron Biotech – Focus is on development and manufacture of ancillary materials and novel products/tools under cGMP compliance for tissue, cell and gene therapies
With more than two dozen market participants now offering cell therapy CDMO services, demand for these services is clearly expanding.