Among cell therapy companies, the pressure for manufacturing innovation and optimization can incentivize them to seek third-party partners who possess technical, manufacturing, and regulatory expertise, such as cell therapy contract and development manufacturing organizations (CDMOs). Currently, there are more than 20 cell therapy CDMOs specializing in manufacturing and clinical trial support for cell therapy companies.
Benefits of partnering with a cell therapy CDMO include scalability, speed to market, access to technical expertise without overhead costs, and cost efficiencies.
Current cell therapy CDMOs operating worldwide include:
- WuXi PharmaTech, Including Subsidiary WuXi AppTech, Inc.
- Lonza, Cell Therapy Manufacturing Unit (acquired PharmaCell, B.V. in May 2017)
- MasTHerCell, Acquired by Orgenesis
- Miltenyi Bioprocess, the Contract Manufacturing Business of Miltenyi Biotec
- Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult
- Nikon CeLL innovation Co., Ltd. (“NCLi”), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nikon Corporation
- Hitachi Chemical Advanced Therapeutics Solutions (acquired PCT March 2017)
- KBI Biopharma (Acquired Opexa Assets, February 2017)
- Brammer Bio (Formed through Merger of Brammer Biopharmaceuticals and Florida Biologix)
- Roslin Cell Therapies, a Subsidiary of Roslin Cells
- apceth Biopharm
- Cognate Bioservices, Inc.
- MEDINET Co. Ltd.
- The Clinical Trial Company (TCTC)
- Praxis Pharmaceutical
- Cellular Therapeutics Ltd. (CTL)
- CTI Clinical Trial and Consulting
- Eufets GmbH
- Fraunhofer Gesellschaft
- Cellforcure SASU
- Molmed S.p.A.
Clearly, the market for cell therapy CDMO services is expanding.